Gruppe junger Auszubildender bei der HEK auf der Treppe

Informations for international Students

Are you coming to Germany to study? That’s great - welcome! HEK is here for you with premium services and benefits.

We want to prepare you to study successfully and take care of your health insurance. As you might know, you may not enrol in Germany without a health insurance. This means that you must not forget to take out a health insurance either in your home country or immediately after arriving in Germany. We will now show you how this is done!

Students with an European Health Insurance Card

Students with an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are also considered to possess a recognised health insurance in Germany.

The following countries recognise the EHIC: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Hungary, Ice-land, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Macedonia, Nether-lands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Rumania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland and Spain.

To be able to enrol at a German university, you will need to prove that you have taken out a health insurance. You may do this by simply taking your EHIC to a branch of the HEK and having an insurance certificate issued.

Students from countries without EHIC

All you need to do is to go to an agency of the HEK (Hamburg, Kiel, Rostock, Lübeck) or get in contact with us via telephone or e-mail. Please have your study certificate ready, because it proves that you are about to take up your studies in Germany. The HEK will then provide you with your insurance certificate which you will then be able to present to your university.
Any questions?

Please don’t hesitate to get in contact with us. Our service team is there for you around the clock: 0800 0213213 (toll-free) Let our contact form guide you through the menu and simply click when it's the best time for you. You could also contact us via email at any time. Simply send us an email to kontakt (at)

You can also visit one of our agencies in Germany:

Wandsbeker Zollstraße 86-90, 22041 Hamburg

temporarily closed

Dr.-Julius-Leber-Straße 3-7, 23552 Lübeck

Rungestraße 17, 18055 Rostock